In 1835, a triple anniversary was celebrated at the Munich Oktoberfest: It was the twenty-fifth anniversary of the marriage of the royal couple, Ludwig I (1786-1868) and Therese (1792-1854), the first Oktoberfest, which took place for the first time on the occasion of this wedding, as well as the founding of the agricultural central association of the kingdom, which played an important role in the organization and implementation of the event since the second Oktoberfest in 1811.
King Ludwig I, who, despite his love of pomp, also had very frugal features, had forbidden separate public celebrations of his silver wedding anniversary; but he had no objection to combining the wedding celebration and the Oktoberfest. The procession, which then passed the royal tent on the Theresienwiese on October 4, 1835, became the most magnificent procession that the capital had seen up to that point.
The program and drafts for the parade were created by the engineer and civil building inspector of the Isar district, Daniel Ohlmüller (1791-1839), who, as the architect of the neo-Gothic Mariahilfkirche in der Au (1831-1839), which was then under construction, belonged to the wider circle of people valued and valued by Ludwig I sponsored architects. The following list, arranged according to the groups in Ohlmüller’s program, combines the lithographs with the descriptive text that was delivered with them in 1836
Sources Referenced: Bayerische Staatsbibliothek and Bavarikon
Brief description of the Oktoberfest parade from the Isar district, to celebrate the jubilee marriage of Their Majesties King Ludwig and Queen Therese, on October 4th, 1835 in Munich, published by JC Hochwind in Munich
Those who have seen this national procession in all its magnificence will always have a pleasant memory of these images, all the more so those who did not have the opportunity to attend the festival will not be unwelcome. It consisted of almost 1,000 mounted peasants with little white and blue flags, then derley armbands, more than 2 companies of mountain riflemen in their peculiar national costume, against 80 festively decorated carriages of various kinds with six, four and two horses. It lasted almost 2 hours past the king’s tent, preparing fresh surprises and great admiration with ever new apparitions. And yet this long series was just a miniature painting, restricted to the smallest frame, of what moves in our blessed Bavarian country, what grows and grows in it.
Happy the prince who rules over such a country and people! […]
The parade is opened by groups of wagons from the district courts of Pfaffenhofen , Munich, Wasserburg and Landsberg , which form a “general group” according to Ohlmüller’s program: on two groups of riders, with the “flag of Scheyern ” the (not entirely correct) coat of arms of the Wittelsbach family before the takeover of the lozenge shield of the Counts of Bogen, followed by the Bavaria, a personification of Bavaria, as well as a wagon for each of the eight districts (government districts) of the kingdom: Isarkreis (since 1838: Upper Bavaria), Oberdonaukreis (Swabia and Neuburg), Unterdonaukreis (Lower Bavaria) , Regenkreis (Upper Palatinate and Regensburg), Rezatkreis (Middle Franconia), Untermainkreis (Lower Franconia), Obermainkreis (Upper Franconia) and Rheinkreis (Rhine Palatinate).
Here it is particularly clear that the representation was independent of the actors. In addition, the coats of arms of the three Franconian chariots are incorrect; it must remain open, however, whether this is one of Gustav Kraus’s (rare) mistakes, or whether the coats of arms were painted incorrectly by the communities that made the floats. Four other floats represent the four seasons before the group is completed by three homage floats and another personification of Bavaria.
Top row: Landgericht Pfaffenhofen (Royal District Court of Pfaffenhofen)
Bottom row: Landgericht München (Royal District Court of Munich). Bavaria (Nymphenburg). Isar district (Schwabing).
[…] The first picture shows from the district courts of Munich and Pfaffenhofen: trumpeter corps and cavalry, the Landwehr opens the procession; at the head an armored man with the famous banner of the house of Bavaria from Scheyern. Bavaria is enthroned under the magnificent temple with spear and shield (municipality of Nympfenburg), surrounded by girls dressed in white and blue with flags and ribbons. […]
Top row: Landgericht München (Royal District Court of Munich). Ober-Donau-Kreis (Feldmoching). Lower Danube district (Pasing). Rain Circle (Aubing).
Bottom row: Rezat Circle (Perlach). Unter-Main-Kreis (Neuhausen). Ober-Main district (Sendling and Thalkirchen). Rhein-Kreis ( Aschheim and Kirchheim ).
[…] Now on this then on the 2nd and 3rd picture representations of the eight circles of Kingdom of Bavaria in national costume with their nature and diligence products, denoted by the coat of arms of the district capital, namely Isar district (Schwabing), Oberdonau district (Feldmoching), Unterdonau district (Pasing), Regen district (Aubing), Rezat district (Perlach), Untermain-Kreis (Neuhausen), Obermain-Kreis (Sendling and Thalkirchen), Rheinkreis (Aschheim and Kirchheim); […]
Top row: Landgericht Wasserburg (Royal District Court of Wasserburg). District of Wasserburg. District Hague.
Bottom row: Royal District Court of Wasserburg, Königliches Landgericht Landsberg. Magistrat Landsberg.
[…]The 4th picture shows cheerful boys and girls from the district court of Wasserburg on 4 wagons with the local coat of arms, with standards and pennants containing the royal names, then in baskets filled perduckten, the names of the boys are Ludwig, those of the girls Therese, sinige Order of the community board Huber of that area (Hague). The landger. respect. the city of Landsberg encapsulates Bavaria with the cornucopia of blissful donations, with the city standard-bearer leading the way on a large float under a rich baldachin, through religion, the arts, sciences, patriotism and loyalty, culture and agriculture, bravery and strength, trade and commerce, in pretty female figures . […]
Top row: Landgericht Dachau (District Court of Dachau)
[…] In the 5th and 6th image, the district courts of Dachau and Bruck lead us with the presentation of the agriculture symbol, then a crowd of riders on beautifully drawn horses, together with a stately float rich in allegories (Markt Dachau ), then a peasant wedding; Finally, on four ornately decorated white and blue wagons, the juiciest grain-harvesting scenes are before our eyes. […]
Top row: Landgericht Dachau (Royal District Court of Dachau)
Bottom row: Landgericht Bruck (Royal District Court of Bruck)
[…] One of the carriages, emblazoned with the image of the historic Fürstenfeld Abbey and seemingly heavily laden with rich sheaves, opens magically and is suddenly transformed into a barn floor, on which lively threshers after the Tacked vigorously swinging the flail. […]
The transition from the Harvest group to the Mountain life group is fluid. The Tölzer Schützen, Miesbacher Leonhardiwagen (Kraus only shows two of the three carriages driven according to the program) and a carriage sent from Dießen am Ammersee with a school choir stand out as particularly memorable in the front part of the group. The Miesbach groups are followed by a small group of fishermen from the district court of Laufen ; they were not originally planned because of the distance to Munich on the train. At the end of the group is a large delegation from Starnberg , which among other things carries models of three royal pleasure ships from Lake Würmsee/Starnberger See.
Top row: Landgericht Wolfratshausen (District Court of Wolfratshausen). Royal District Court of Wolfratshausen. Baierrhein . Eurasburg . Holzhausen
Bottom row: Oberbiberg . Market Wolfratshausen
[…] Eurasburg, Holzhausen, Oberbiberg), Isarfloßfarths-Verkehr (Market Wolfratshausen) represents in the most diverse successful inventions and groups, compilation, […]
Top row: Landgericht Tölz (Royal District Court of Tölz). Compagnie Wackersberg . Jachenau . Company Gaissach
Bottom row: Tölz. Protect from Lenggries
[…] From the district court of Tölz, the magnificent, uniformed mountain rifle companies with flying flags and jingling games (Wackersberg, Gaisach, Lenggries), a wagon full of lively, peculiar valley residents (Jachenau), a movable alpine hut with accessories set up just like the raft above (Markt Tölz) ; […]
Here, too, the transition between the groups of Ohlmüller’s program is fluid. According to the program, the group of riders at the end of sheet 16 actually rode ahead of this group. Three rather simple floats are followed by four floats from the Seefeld patrimonial court, which existed until 1848, depicting, among other things, a peasant wedding. According to the special rights that the Counts of Toerring-Seefeld received in their patrimonial court, this part of the group carries the Toerring colors red, silver and green with them.
The last wagon of the group with gull fishermen on the Seefeld (today: Pilsen) lake released 25 white pigeons directly in front of the king’s tent, as shown on the lithograph.
Top row: (Landgericht Starnberg) Royal District Court of Starnberg. Mountain
Bottom row: Gauting . Tutzing
[…] Swan, along with the dugout canoe for fishing, on wave-like trapped, 6, 4 and 2 team. They are followed by coats of arms artificially adorned with natural threads with singing school children and festively dressed residents (Berg, Gauting, Tutzing). […]
VI. Group of City Life & Final Group with 400 Horsemen
At the end of the actual pageant, a few groups followed that were supposed to represent urban life, led by a group from Landshut , which belonged to the Isar district until 1838 , followed by a few communities that now belong to Munich. The municipality of Bogenhausen presents itself as an orchard, while the Munich suburb of Au, which received municipal rights between 1818 and 1879, has wagons to the Mariahilfkirche, also planned by Ohlmüller, and a large Salvator beer wagon from the Zacherl’schen brewery, today’s Paulaner brewery. The municipalities of Haidhausen and Giesing provide wagons that are also intended to present general Bavarian craftsmanship. The places Weilheim , Murnauand Freising close the group with floats without any special symbolism.
Gustav Kraus only depicted a small fraction of the 400 riders in the final group, including the cheering final rider
Top row: Landgericht Weilheim (District Court of Weilheim). Weilheim. Murnau
Bottom row: Magistrat Freising. (Royal District Court of Munich)
[…] After the 22-ton sheet, the Weilheim district court sent ornamental wagons with the town and market coat of arms, then their residents (Weilheim and Murnau), and finally the town of Freising sent the emblems of all the craftsmen located there. The end of the rural procession, which will not be coming back any time soon, is formed by cavalry from the district court of Munich, and the last left wingman shouts at the top of his lungs, swinging his hat, a genuinely Bavarian: “Juche”! […]
Top row: Feuergewehr-/Stahlarmbrust-Schützen (Firearms-/Steel Crossbowmen)
Bottom Row: Pageant | of firearms and steel crossbowmen | October 5, 1835 | Publisher of JC High Wind
[…] finally of firearms and steel crossbowmen with the insignia, aimers and prizes; which led a detachment of Landwehr riflemen. […]